Auburn Hills, Mich. -- While completely re-engineered from the legendary 426 HEMI V-8 that powered Chrysler muscle cars of the 1960s, two features earn the new 5.7-liter HEMI power plant its HEMI name.
- The hemispherically shaped combustion chamber designed to accommodate large valves and put the spark plugs close to the center of the combustion chamber
- The cross-flow valve arrangement that is perpendicular to the crankshaft Centerline
Facts and Features
- The 5.7-liter HEMI® Magnum V-8 engine is an internally balanced pushrod (OHV) 90-degree V-8. The cast iron block is a deep skirt and cross-bolted design with cylinder bore spacing the same as the engine it replaces.
- The aluminum cylinder features a two-valve per-cylinder, hemispherical combustion chamber with dual spark plugs and a coil over plug ignition for best-in-class airflow and power. At an impressive 345 hp and 375 lb.-ft of torque, the 5.7-liter HEMI cranks out 41 percent more power and 12 percent greater torque than the 5.9-liter Magnum V-8 it replaces. And the power plant is 56 pounds lighter than its predecessor.
- An Integrated Air Fuel Module (IAFM) incorporates the function of 26 individual components in the induction and fuel system, thereby reducing cost, weight and engine plant complexity.
- The 5.7-liter HEMI marks Chrysler Group’s first application of an electronic throttle control system in a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. The system uses a DC motor with reduction gears to open and close the throttle, for optimal control of the airflow into the engine.
- A combination of the 5.7-liter HEMI and the new 545RFE five-speed automatic transmission will improve fuel efficiency for the heavy-duty pickup by 8-10 percent over the 5.9-liter V-8.
- A systematic approach to sealing, using premium elastomeric materials and state-of-the-art practices, helps ensure a leak-free, weep-free engine.
The power plant’s simple and efficient design means servicing and repairs are easier and less costly.
|Type and description||Eight cylinders, 90-degree V-type, liquid cooled|
|Displacement||354 cu. in (5,654 cu. cm)|
|Bore x stroke||3.92 x 3.58 (99.5 x 90.9)|
|Valve system||Pushrod-operated overhead valves, 16 valves, hydraulic lifters with roller followers|
|Fuel injection||Sequential, multi-port, electronic, returnless|
|Construction||Deep-skirt cast iron block with cross-bolted main bearing caps. Aluminum alloy heads with hemispherical combustion chambers|
|Power (SAE net)||345 bhp (257 kW) @ 5400 rpm, (61.0 bhp/L), 2500 series|
|Torque (SAE Net)||375 lb.-ft (508) Nm) @ 4200 rpm 2500 series|
|Max. engine speed||5,800 rpm|
|Fuel requirement||Unleaded mid-grade, 89 octane (R+M)/2 - recommended
Unleaded regular, 87 octane (R+M)/2 - acceptable
|Oil capacity||7 qt. (6.6L)|
|Coolant capacity||18.7 qt. (17.7L)|